Monday, September 16, 2013

Passau: September 16, 2013



Dearest Fam-bam,

First off, that's so cool that Scotty got his mission call!! That will be such a cool experience for him to serve in the Family History Center. How long did you say his mission is going to be?

As for the Oktoberfest, I have no idea how this will affect me actually, because this is something that really only happens here in Bavaria, so this will be the first time where I will ever notice a difference because of it. I think it should start in the next couple of weeks and should go for a few weeks, but I'm not actually sure. I guess I will really find out when I go to Munich for any meetings and have to walk right past the place where they have it.

So, as for Elder Barker's German...I don't know. It is definitely improving, but I still get a little sad, because he speaks very little German with me, regardless of the fact that I speak so much German with him. I just sometimes get the feeling that he isn't really trying to speak that much German. I'm going to try to keep pushing him, and at the same time just keep setting an example.

We actually did run into this Romanian guy again, just a couple of days ago. I asked him if he had read, and he told me that he hadn't had time yet. He said he was going to do it, and then he would send us a text. We didn't get his number though, so he will have to contact us in order for there to be anymore information there.

We had a couple of teaching opportunities this week. We taught this less-active member with the Sisters on Tuesday, which was okay. He is from Africa, and hasn't come to church in a pretty long time. The lesson was pretty good, and we ended it by giving him a blessing. We are going to try and keep contact with him, and I'll let you know if he starts making any progress.  The other teaching opportunity we had was a potential investigator whom the Sisters wanted to pass on. He is an Albanian Muslim, and is a little sarcastic. I guess that when the Sisters still had the trio they had met with him once, and was a little skeptical of them, because their German wasn't as good as his. I guess that my German is better, and so he was a little more withdrawn during our little lesson. We just gave him a commitment to pray and ask God if Jesus Christ was really his son, and we will check up with him next week. If he hasn't done it though, I don't think we'll meet again, because it just wouldn't be worth the time and effort to talk with him. He is a talker.

I don't think I got any letter these last week or two.. Oh wait! I got one from the Millers, from Sister Hansen, and from you, or rather from the Bowens. Those all came last Monday. I swear you all conspired and send them on the same exact day. Other than that I don't think I got anything. I also can't really think of anything that I need... Wait, can you send me Scott Whitworth's email? And I was thinking about Christmas time, what if I were to ask you to maybe not send a ton of presents and just money instead? I'm sorry if that sounds mean, but it may be easier for me to just buy some things here instead of you buying them and hoping that they get to me safely, and then hoping that things fit me, you know?

Other than that this week was pretty boring, but went by strangely quickly. We ended up playing soccer and Frisbee with Luis, that guy from Peru, again on Thursday, and he said he had read 3 Nephi 11 like we had told him. We keep trying to set up another appointment where we can also talk to him about the Book of Mormon, and he keeps saying that we can, but up until this point we haven't been able to get a hold of him in order to actually do that. We have a lot of hope for him and really want to meet with him this week.

Our GML, Tobias, finally got back from America this week, but we haven't seen him, because he went right to Munich to work apparently. I guess all he wants to do is to save up enough money to be able to fly back to America and start working and studying there. So we may lose our GML, as soon as he has enough money to get out of here, haha. My relationship with the ward is actually really good. I really like the members here and enjoy going to church and being able to talk to them. 

Elder Barker and I have been trying bus contacting this week, because our mission has really been focusing on trying to find people in more natural ways, which is a little difficult to do when you stop them on the street. There is very little that is natural about that. Anyway, we really want to find people through this, and I hope that we will be able to get better at it this week. I actually gave out a Family: A Proclamation to the World brochure this week. Funny story, I actually used a Zucchini as a finding technique. I put it in my bag, and when an older lady would sit anywhere near me I would show her the zucchini and tell her I was trying to learn how to cook and wasn't sure what to do with this zucchini, both of which are very true. Because of that I made a really tasty lunch one of these days with zucchini in it, and learned a new word, so it was a win-win-win.

I'm getting tired of emailing, sorry that I didn't have any great stories this week! I'll try to give you some good ones next week!

Love,
Elder Merkley

Here he is, wearing some Lederhosen!

No comments:

Post a Comment