Monday, August 26, 2013

Passau: August 26, 2013

Dearest Fam-bam,

Well. I am a little irritated right now. I just deleted an email that I had been working on for about thirty minutes or so. So this is probably going to be the worst email that you have ever received from me. Sorry about that.

Well, I really don't know what to write, I don't want to type out all those things I had just written, because now they are just boring for me. Anyway, there was a baptism in our ward this week for a guy from Nigeria whom the Sisters have been teaching. He had asked Elder Barker and me to be witnesses, and then asked me to confirm him the next day, which was a super awesome experience, because I had never had the opportunity to do that before.

Something cool that has been happening recently: our Branch President's son is less active (that's not the cool part), and when they took us out to dinner a couple of weeks ago, their son, Michael, came and I guess he like me (He's like thirty or so, we just talked a lot about movies and such things), and so our branch president invited us to dinner again this week, so that we could establish more contact with their son. They actually put a lot of pressure on me right when we got to the restaurant, because Micheal wasn't there yet, and so they said, make sure that he sits next to you, Elder Merkley. I got really worried, but he came and we were able to have a really good conversation, so they were super happy. The Branch President and his wife are actually getting really worried about transfers, they keep saying that they have never had such good missionaries, and that we are such a good team, and that kind of stuff. They are going to take us out next Pday so that we can go see somewhere pretty, and so that Michael and I can hang out again, I think, haha. I'll let you know how that goes.

I cooked a ton this week! I think I was telling Tin about this already, but I have been trying to eat a lot healthier, and try to really cook meals, and I did it a few times this week, I mean, I used a lot of mixes and then just added in a lot of ingredients, but it was tasty, and there were a lot of vegetables! I actually have lost a lot of weight here in Passau, probably around 10 lbs or so. I'm not as skinny as I was at BYU, which is also ok, because I was super skinny then, but I've slimmed down a lot.

Elder Barker and I have been doing well this week, still getting along pretty well. I'm trying to help him learn how to pull his own weight in a lot of areas, but the going has been slow. I don't feel like he necessarily slows us down in missionary work, he has been making big improvements in this area.  It still has been really enjoyable though, because we get along well, and the general mood of our companionship is a lot better than others that I have experienced.

You're having dinner with Elder Jerman's family? Haha, that's so great! I love that kid! I just talked to him on the phone this week, I was actually calling about Sven, and he sounds great! He has been learning the language really well, and we had our entire conversation in German. We had a ton of fun together.

Speaking of Sven, he is doing great! I talked to him yesterday and he is done with rehab, and is feeling awesome. He is living with his girlfriend right now, which threw up some red flags in my mind. We talked about it, and he assured me that nothing is up, and that it is a big house and that kind of stuff. I'm still a little worried, but I trust him. He says that on of his girlfriend's boys wants to be baptized, and Xenia should be getting baptized sometime soon, he said he'll let me know about the date.

Thanks for making the Dropbox! I just spent like 20-30 minutes looking through all the pictures, which is a factor in the lack of time that i have now...sorry! I don't have my cord with me this week, but I will be sure to put pictures up there, maybe I'll even throw most of them up there so that I don't have to worry about sending my memory card home, because one of them has a ton of room still.

Teaching Pool: nonexistent. Lesson average: approximately 1 every other week. We have a less active whom we sometimes visit. (Have you been noticing my great English recently? I've been really trying to speak proper English.)

Well, like I said, I don't really want to spend more time writing, becuase although this is short, I have spent like an hour writing already...

I love you all!

Elder Merkley

No comments:

Post a Comment